Very, very early tomorrow morning we are taking off for the 2015 CSW Expo in Tempe, Arizona. I go to this most years; this year there are over 300 attendees and while it draws a lot of monster gamers (people who play monster-sized games, not people who play games about monsters or who look like monsters, though there are a few who look like Igor from Hilarious House of Frightenstein) it also draws a lot of hardcore, long-term gamers, many of whom are designers themselves. It’s fun to get together with them and swap tales and techniques.
There will be a lot of publishers there, including GMT, so I will present the work done so far on Denouement (2-player COIN system, French Algerian War) and see if they are interested in Thunder Out Of China (4-player COIN system, China 1937-41, trying to make it a fun game for four passive-aggressives) too. Also bringing eight or nine other things to show and test:
– Algeria Redux, revision of original 2000 Algeria game with cleaned-up rules, scenarios and 140 counters
– Winter Thunder, revision of 2005 Bulge game, with fewer counters and simpler rules
– Palace Coup, multiplayer game on coup d’etat
– Caudillo, multiplayer game on power politics in thinly disguised post-Chavez Venezuela
– Binh Dinh 69, simpler game on Binh Dinh province in Vietnam 1969
– Binh Dinh and Kandahar modules of District Commander system
– and Victory Point Games will be there for playtesting of their developed version of Ukrainian Crisis
Will be there all week, may be able to post small things and pictures – bringing new tablet with tiny keyboard, and Aki gave me his old Android phone I can use as a camera.